Also known as hand enhancement
Our hands can reveal our true age. Volume loss and sun damage are common issues client wish to resolve. Volume loss becomes associated with looking older as the veins and tendons on the back of the hand become more and more visible. And long term sun exposure can lead to age spots.
Dr. Grishkevich has been successfully offering Hand Rejuvenation for several years. Stop by today and talk to our friendly staff today!
WHEN TO CONSIDER HAND REJUVENATION
- If your hands have prominent veins and tendons because of volume loss
- If your hands are wrinkled and thin
- If your hands have age spots
- If your hands would benefit from improved skin tone and color
WHEN 60 IS THE NEW 50, HAND REJUVENATION IS THE FINISHING TOUCH
First there was the facelift, buttock lift, eye lift and breast lift. Now, there is the “hand lift.” In a New York Times article this month on hand rejuvenation, a Mount Kisco, New York plastic surgeon states, “As you get older, your hands lose volume, fat and elasticity. The fatty layer of the hand disappears, so the skin is more translucent and shriveled, and you see underlying structures like bones, tendons and veins.”
Sixty-seven year-old RL Peters tells the news source that she’s way younger in spirit than her age, but her hands don’t match her body, lifestyle or face. The old saying, “If you want to know a woman’s age, look at her hands,” is still operational. But now, there are new and increasingly popular procedures that can protect you from being “outed” in such a manner.
A Redondo Beach plastic surgeon offers a “hand lift” that is accomplished in five to ten minutes for about $1,200 in which he injects synthetic fillers like Radiesse, Juvederm or Perlane under the first layer of skin to plump it. Alternately, he may use a combination of fillers, intense pulsed light and CO2 laser resurfacing to remove sun spots. Effects of these procedures persist for roughly a year.
A New York plastic surgeon uses many different methods such as the Fraxel laser to remove wrinkling or discoloration; Thermage for skin tightening; sclerotherapy, which involves injecting a solution directly into the veins; the Q-switched laser, which fires very rapid pulses and blasts away pigment spots, and fat injections to plump up the hands.
The news source interviewed another doctor who strongly favors reinjecting fat from the derriere or thighs into the tops of the hands over all over methods. He doesn’t use Radiesse or Sculptra because, according to him, they are expensive and not as long- lasting as fat, which has less chance of being rejected. None of the doctors interviewed remove excess skin surgically from the hands. In terms of surgical removal, one plastic surgeon states, “You’d have to literally take a scissor and separate the tissue, and you might interfere with some of the tendons.”
As far as complications with filler, a Manhattan dermatologist advises, “The most common reactions are local bruising and swelling. If you’re having your hands injected, like your face, do it with a very experienced injector.”
If you’re interested in hand rejuvenation, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. To prevent the appearance of aging hands, sunscreen is your best option.
HOW IS A HAND REJUVENATION PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
Whether you require volume replacement, correction of sun damage or erasure of lines and wrinkles, your surgeon has numerous treatment options to choose from. Most procedures are minimally invasive, but in the case of very loose, wrinkled skin, your plastic surgeon may also recommend surgery to remove excess skin.
VOLUME REPLACEMENT TO TREAT PROTRUDING BONES, TENDONS OR VEINS:
- The filler is injected into the hand at multiple locations
- It is placed in layers at multiple levels to reshape and augment the hands
Fat injections (fat transfer or autologous fat grafting)
- Liposuction with suction tubes (cannulas) is used to remove fatty tissue from areas of your body with excess tissue, such as the abdomen, hips, back or thighs
- The fat is then processed for fat transfer and re-injected into your hands
- The fat is grafted in layers at multiple levels to ensure that a smooth, linear deposit of fatty tissue is left to reshape and augment the hands
- The liposuction incisions are closed with sutures
- Tape is placed on the skin of the infiltrated areas and left in place for 3 or 4 days as a protective barrier
If you have poor circulation from vascular disease, diabetes, chemotherapy, HIV/AIDS or smoking you may not get as much of the graft volume to take as other patients.
- Sclerotherapy is effective for medium-sized blood vessels (greater than 3 mm in diameter)
- A solution is injected into the vein with a micro-needle
- The vein turns white (blanches) and gradually disappears
- There is little if any discomfort when undergoing treatment and there is no downtime
Laser vein treatment
- Laser treatment is typically used to treat small to medium-sized blood vessels (1-3 mm in diameter)
- A handpiece is passed over your skin and the laser light is absorbed by the blood, causing the vessels to coagulate and be absorbed by the body
- There is little downtime
TREATMENT FOR FINE LINES, WRINKLES, DISCOLORATION, SUN DAMAGE, OR IRREGULAR PIGMENTATION
Superficial chemical peels (see Chemical Peels)
- A chemical solution is applied to your hands with a sponge, cotton pad or swab, or brush
- Your surgeon decides how long to leave the solution on your hands by carefully observing any changes in the appearance of your skin
- With certain types of chemical peels, the solution may be "neutralized" after an appropriate amount of time has elapsed
- No covering or after-peel ointment is necessary and you can expect little downtime
Intense pulsed light (IPL) and photodynamic therapy (PDT)
- Your eyes will be covered for protection
- The IPL hand piece is placed directly over the treatment area and light waves are emitted
- After a series of treatments, the spots and discolorations on your hands will be begin to fade and disappear
- PDT uses a solution on the skin before applying the IPL device which allows for more aggressive treatment
- Recovery from IPL is similar to recovering from a mild sunburn
Laser skin resurfacing
- Your eyes will be covered so that your corneas and retinas are protected from the laser
- A wand is passed over your skin and the resurfacing laser emits a very brief pulse of high intensity light that damages the upper layers of your skin
- As your skin heals, healthier, younger looking tissue emerges
TREATMENT FOR VERY LOOSE AND WRINKLED SKIN
- You will either have general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation
- Your surgeon will generally make an incision on the top of the hand by the wrist and remove loose skin, then suture back together
- Some swelling and pain is to be expected afterwards and can be managed by medication
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
Some of the available options for hand rejuvenation are outlined below. These can be used alone or in combination to enhance the overall results. Your surgeon will recommend an approach based upon your treatment needs and aesthetic goals.
- Autologous fat grafting (also known as fat transfer) re-injects your own natural fatty tissue into your hands to add volume, cover underlying vessels and tendons, and improve the quality of your skin over time. It is important to note that if you have poor circulation from vascular disease, diabetes, chemotherapy, HIV/AIDS and smoking you may not get as much of the graft volume to take as other patients.
- Fillers, such as polyactic acid or hyaluronic acid, can be used to add volume to your hands and fill in around protruding bones and veins.
- Chemical peels, intense pulsed light (IPL), or laser skin resurfacing may be used to treat fine wrinkles, skin discoloration, sun damage or age spots.
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT) uses a solution with IPL for more aggressive treatment of irregular pigmentation or brown spots.
- Sclerotherapy or laser vein treatments can treat noticeable or protruding veins.
- Skin excision to remove loose, excess skin on the hands.
Many of these procedures require multiple treatments to give you the best result. You should allow time between treatments to permit swelling and bruising to dissipate.
LIMITATIONS AND RISKS
Fortunately, significant complications from hand rejuvenation are infrequent. Your specific risks for hand rejuvenation will be discussed during your consultation.
All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Some of the potential complications of all surgeries are:
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Hematoma or seroma (an accumulation of blood or fluid under the skin that may require removal)
- Infection and bleeding
- Changes in sensation
- Allergic reactions
- Damage to underlying structures
- Unsatisfactory results that may necessitate additional procedures
Other risks specific to hand rejuvenation are outlined below:
- Slow healing due to tension or excess stretching
- Abnormal healing and/or unanticipated color changes or skin blotchiness from chemical peels
- Fat reabsorption
You can help minimize certain risks by following the advice and instructions of your board-certified plastic surgeon, both before and after your hand rejuvenation surgery.
Hand Rejuvenation FAQs
what our patients say
"I definitely plan on utilizing VIP MediSpa as much as I can."
"I’d like to say thanks to Dr. Grishkevich and his staff for making my procedure so painless and easy. I am very pleased with the results and still don’t recognize the person standing in the mirror!"
"Great service! Absolutely the best SPA I have visited in years. Very up-to-date equipment, really liked the interior design. I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere created by the gracious hosts and friendly personnel. Great deals/prices for the services, which they provide."
"Thank you all for everything! I will continue to “dance” through life and look as good as I feel!!"
"I just want you all to know how much I appreciate your office and staff. I am doing well – it has been nearly two weeks. I am still sore but the bruising is going away nicely. I am still a little swollen but can definitely see and feel the difference I was hoping for. I thought it was pretty funny when Dr. Max was so candid and said – “I hope you don’t think you will ever have a completely flat tummy…” No, believe me after 5 kids – 4 births – and my mid-life I just don’t want to feel pregnant anymore and that is how I felt. So I already feel better in my clothes and my ego at this stage of my life is good. My emotions are in check right now and I am starting to think about my future as a single, but elderly lady. Thanks so much for the boost. Good work, everyone. Keep it up! I will check in the next time I am in Portland."
"I love it when I look in the mirror now!! The difference is remarkable. I feel that I look natural, but so much better. It is such a joy to come into the spa, the staff is so warm, and make you welcome. You have a lifetime client and friend. Thank you!!"
"Dr. Max and staff are the best! I love the results of SmartLipo so far so good and I will be back for more!"
"Dr. Max, Sonja and the entire staff make my visits feel relaxed and welcoming. I am so happy with my results! Dr. Max is a perfectionist, which is exactly what I wanted. He is caring! Never condescending. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the procedure or Dr. Max to anyone."
"My experience at VIP MediSpa gave me freedom to be the young and healthy me that I feel I am – and to look the part. For the first time in many years I am not ashamed of my body! After years of wishing there was just some way to really be rid of my cellulite, I finally actually achieved what I thought might be impossible, and sometimes it still seems too good to be true. I would do it again in a second. Nothing that I experienced in my mesotherapy procedure was more painful than the years of hiding my body. I would do it again in a second!"
"VIP MediSpa has been wonderful. The Staff are pleasant and very helpful. All my questions were answered to my satisfaction. I’m very happy with the results from all my procedures and can’t wait to do more. Max is great and makes me feel comfortable about my decisions I have made. I recommend VIP to my friends and family."
"I joined the VIP MediSpa during the Grand opening and everyone was so nice! The location and décor are perfect! The service 6 months later is still first rate! I would definitely send my friends and family to them! Thank you so much!"
"I have had laser hair removal, microdermabrasions, laser treatment for hyperpigmentation and BOTOX® and have had wonderful results from each. The doctor and staff are professional yet have a fun sense of humor that makes my trips here fun and enjoyable. I will definitely keep coming back!"
"Absolutely the best SPA I have visited in years. Very up-to-date equipment, really liked the interior design. I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere created by the gracious hosts and friendly personnel. Great deals/prices for the services, which they provide."
"VIP MEDISPA is the best!!!! Dr. Max is a Medical Doctor and his wife a beauty specialist… amazing service! Everything is professional, clean, and friendly! The grand opening was a blast. They offer a range of services at good prices."
"From the moment I walked in to VIP MediSpa I felt a sense of relaxation. It was obvious to me that I had chosen the right place to have my ‘work’ done, as this is a very clean and beautifully designed facility. The staff members are very gracious and knowledgeable and the equipment is top of the line. I look forward to coming in each time and I feel confident in knowing that if I have any concerns or questions about my treatments the doctor will take as much time as I need to answer them. I have had laser hair removal, microdermabrasions, laser treatment for hyperpigmentation and BOTOX® and have had wonderful results from each. The doctor and staff are professional yet have a fun sense of humor that makes my trips here fun and enjoyable. I will definitely keep coming back!"
"Thank you so much for all you do! I love the results. You have a life-long client and friend. I recommend Dr. Max to anyone who wants to look better and be in the most competent of hands. I appreciate all of you!"
"I am very thankful it was Dr. Max, Sonja and VIP MediSpa who I’ve done this with. Everyone is responsive and helpful, and I know they really care about me. I highly recommend VIP MediSpa."
"I have a very low tolerance for pain – Dr. Max made sure I didn’t feel any discomfort during the procedure."
"I have had laser hair removal, microdermabrasions, laser treatment for hyperpigmentation and BOTOX® and have had wonderful results from each. The doctor and staff are professional yet have a fun sense of humor that makes my trips here fun and enjoyable. I will definitely keep coming back! VipMedispa is the best aesthetic medicine clinic in Happy Valley, Clackamas, in Portland."
"I can now wear clothes I haven’t worn in a few years. I put on a pair of work slacks I hadn’t worn since before, and they fell down after I buttoned them! I also am loving that it gave me more incentive to take care of myself better, eat healthier, and exercise more. I am 43 going on 27."
"Great service! Absolutely the best SPA in Portland area I have visited in years. Very up-to-date equipment, really liked the interior design. I particularly enjoyed the atmosphere created by the gracious hosts and friendly personnel. Great deals/prices for the services, which they provide."